Updated electrical plan, had to adjust some dpp heights and clarify a few other things.
Our new admin at Henley asked us to confirm our floor plan and electrical variations before our land titles. Made a couple of changes, fixing a few minor things we hadn’t picked up on earlier (probably fresh eyes, since we hadn’t looked at this stuff in months).
Behold, the probably-really-final floor plan and electrical:
Also, our block finally titled today, settlement is in two weeks. Hooray!
We had our final office appointment with Henley today to finalise our electrical layout and sign the building contract. Such a relief that we’ve finally gotten to this stage.
Behold! Electrical plan that I’ve been thinking about for months now:
Since we’re doing our own lighting after handover, we positioned the batten fittings in the various rooms so that they will be in the right spot to be replaced with downlights. Power points in a couple of cupboards for eg. dustbuster in linen, NAS in either master or office wardrobe. Added an extra power point for each wall mounted TV location, as well as on the wall in the garage where I’ll have a wall mounted rack for comms gear.
We want Clipsal pushbutton LED light switches throughout, but Henley don’t have them in their standard catalogue, but we’ve given them the part numbers so hopefully they will come back and not be too expensive. In the theatre, we’re putting an IR remote control dimmer switch, which again Henley don’t have but we’ve asked for. Most likely we’ll just get our sparky to do that after handover, since I’m sure it will be overpriced.
After finalising our electricals, we went through the contract with our admin. Victoria picked up a couple of errors in the kitchen specs, but otherwise everything checks out, and we’ve signed on the dotted line. Next comes the finances!
We received a copy of our building contract and “final” drawings today; it’s about as thick as a volume of an encyclopaedia (do people still use those?) Our electrical and contract appointments are on Thursday, so we will go over everything with Henley that afternoon.
Couple of minor changes needed on the drawings:
- Move manhole from laundry to garage (as per Tender)
- Swap portrait door and dishwasher space in kitchen island bench (so dishwasher space is adjacent to sink)
- Delete bulkhead on WIR entrance in master ensuite
- Move wall mixer/spout in main bathroom to underneath window
Everything else appears to be in order. Bosch gas cooktop is in ($770), and they’ve slipped in a $240 charge to increase the height of the garage door due to garage stepdown, which is annoying because the garage stepdown was on the very first revision of our quote back months ago, and there was never any mention of an extra door height cost.
All up just over $265k. Getting more real by the day now.
Had our Tender appointment this morning, and we were both completely drained by the end of it. So much stuff to go through and think about!
We dropped a couple of “nice to haves” because the cost/benefit was just not there, and yet a few others were very reasonably priced, including upgrading the front door/timber stacker door height which we were expecting to be at least $1000, turned out to be only a few hundred.
As expected, the pricing for the kitchen appliances came back much higher than we could justify, so we dropped the Smeg oven and cooktop upgrades ($4k). We were originally told by our salesperson that the only appliance options were Smeg and Miele, but discovered this is not entirely true, and as it turns out we can actually get the Bosch 6 burner cooktop that we both loved, for half the price of the Smeg:
Our request to move the manhole to the garage was no problem – another thing we were told we couldn’t do. Our final tender price ended up being lower than when we started, including:
- Add soundproof insulation to theatre
- Vent rangehood to outside instead of ceiling space
- Delete two bulkheads
- Timber windows to façade
And finally, we got a PDF with our preliminary drawings! This makes it all feel a bit more real:
Electrical and contract appointment in 4 weeks’ time. Almost there…
Now that the land contract is done, we went to lock in the build today. Read through our quote in detail and made a few minor changes along the way (does it ever end?!)
But it’s now underway and we’re officially a customer 🙂 We’ll be assigned an admin contact in around a week’s time and will set up our colour and electrical appointments.
Some of the stuff we’re hopefully including in our build;
- Upgrade to 9′ ceiling height, 8′ door height and square set cornice
- Timber floating floorboards
- Bath to ensuite option
- Shower niches
- Extend walk in pantry and add cavity sliding door
- Double glazed windows
- Single entrance to theatre (standard floor plan has one each side)
- Delete bulkheads in doorways
- Undermount sink, pot/bin drawers
- Lots more power points
- Lots of LED downlights
How much of this is affordable/achievable we’re not sure yet 🙂
Our customised floor plan looks something like this:
Just need to get our land contract signed and then we can get moving!