Our new admin at Henley asked us to confirm our floor plan and electrical variations before our land titles. Made a couple of changes, fixing a few minor things we hadn’t picked up on earlier (probably fresh eyes, since we hadn’t looked at this stuff in months).
Behold, the probably-really-final floor plan and electrical:
Also, our block finally titled today, settlement is in two weeks. Hooray!
We had our final office appointment with Henley today to finalise our electrical layout and sign the building contract. Such a relief that we’ve finally gotten to this stage.
Behold! Electrical plan that I’ve been thinking about for months now:
Since we’re doing our own lighting after handover, we positioned the batten fittings in the various rooms so that they will be in the right spot to be replaced with downlights. Power points in a couple of cupboards for eg. dustbuster in linen, NAS in either master or office wardrobe. Added an extra power point for each wall mounted TV location, as well as on the wall in the garage where I’ll have a wall mounted rack for comms gear.
We want Clipsal pushbutton LED light switches throughout, but Henley don’t have them in their standard catalogue, but we’ve given them the part numbers so hopefully they will come back and not be too expensive. In the theatre, we’re putting an IR remote control dimmer switch, which again Henley don’t have but we’ve asked for. Most likely we’ll just get our sparky to do that after handover, since I’m sure it will be overpriced.
IR remote dimmer switch (theatre)
After finalising our electricals, we went through the contract with our admin. Victoria picked up a couple of errors in the kitchen specs, but otherwise everything checks out, and we’ve signed on the dotted line. Next comes the finances!
Had our Tender appointment this morning, and we were both completely drained by the end of it. So much stuff to go through and think about!
We dropped a couple of “nice to haves” because the cost/benefit was just not there, and yet a few others were very reasonably priced, including upgrading the front door/timber stacker door height which we were expecting to be at least $1000, turned out to be only a few hundred.
As expected, the pricing for the kitchen appliances came back much higher than we could justify, so we dropped the Smeg oven and cooktop upgrades ($4k). We were originally told by our salesperson that the only appliance options were Smeg and Miele, but discovered this is not entirely true, and as it turns out we can actually get the Bosch 6 burner cooktop that we both loved, for half the price of the Smeg:
Bosch 900mm cooktop – PCT915B9TA
Our request to move the manhole to the garage was no problem – another thing we were told we couldn’t do. Our final tender price ended up being lower than when we started, including:
- Add soundproof insulation to theatre
- Vent rangehood to outside instead of ceiling space
- Delete two bulkheads
- Timber windows to façade
And finally, we got a PDF with our preliminary drawings! This makes it all feel a bit more real:
Electrical and contract appointment in 4 weeks’ time. Almost there…
Had our colour appointment at Henley this morning. Wasn’t quite the crazy whirlwind affair I thought it might end up being, as we had been thinking about this stuff for months and were fairly well prepared.
Most stuff we’d already decided on and stayed the same, some things we changed on the spot because they worked better when put with everything else, others were a complete surprise. Overall, success!
Colorbond roof/downpipes/etc: Basalt
Bricks: Austral Pepperwood
Timber door/window stain: Merbau
Internal paint colours:
Grey Pebble half
Internal walls: Grey Pebble half
Theatre and family room TV wall: Mud Pack
Flooring: Rustic Coffee
Underbench cupboards: Licorice Linea
Caesarstone benchtop: Shitake (Vic’s baby)
Splashback: Dulux Organic
Overhead cupboards: Stipple Seal
Floor/wall tiles: Polar cobblestone matt
Underbench cupboards: Licorice Linea
Caesarstone benchtop: Raven (my baby)
Shower niche tile
Bathroom sink – Kado Lux
Tapware – Phoenix Radii
Lexi twin shower (ensuite)
Double undermount sink
Smeg K181X90 rangehood
Smeg SA20XMFR8 90cm oven
Smeg PGA75F-4 cooktop
Lots of other stuff, including 2400mm high doors, pot drawers, bin drawer, microwave hole in pantry, and many other things I don’t remember right now. We have no idea what the kitchen appliance pricing is like, will have to wait and see when the Tender comes in. None of our upgrades (except perhaps the kitchen appliances) were particularly extravagant or expensive, but we chose what we liked and then consulted the price list. Probably around $6-8k of internal upgrades all up – not too bad.
Tender appointment in 4 weeks!
On a whim, we decided to go to the Ambrosia sales office this morning, since we liked the location and wanted to find out more about nearby facilities, schools, etc.
Popped into the Henley display next door to have a quick look at some paint colour ideas while we waited for the sales office to open. Not sure we got a lot out of it but it was fun, anyway, and I snapped a shot of our vanity and tapware (Phoenix Radii)
Back to the land sales office, we found out the nearby Cranbourne West primary school site is being handed over this year and is scheduled to open in 2016 which works well for us. On the land side of things, there were a couple of 14x32m blocks we’d seen online which would suit us, but unfortunately both were already sold.
Extra metres at the back are important for us, so the search has been on for the elusive 33m+ depth block. On the board out the front, a couple of blocks caught our eye that are pretty much exactly what we’ve been looking for. Size, orientation and location are all good – the compromise is a T intersection, but that’s minor compared to the advantage of having extra depth and back yard space.
Only problem is they’re not on the market yet, but probably only a week or two away, Now we play the waiting game…